14 December 2016

knits of 2016

















late last year i set myself some goals dealing with various parts of my life.  some i have been successful at, others i'm still working at.  one of the goals i did nail was to make 5 knitted items for myself, and i'm pretty darn proud of myself for that.

many years ago i taught myself to knit using a coats & clark cd.  i was still very much into quilting at the time so i didn't stick with my knitting.  about 1.5 years ago, i picked back up the needles and have been slowly learning new techniques.  knitting has led to spinning....and then weaving.  it's been rather an interesting ride but one that i'm totally onboard with.

my first knit of the year was finished sometime in january (top picture) and so happened to be my first sweater.  i am a very visual learner, so i made this sweater following a crafty class and it really helped me grasp the procedure much better.  it's made with some knit picks yarn that i got for christmas last year.  it's far from perfect, but i still wear it around the house and it has served it's purpose.

second knit was blom shawl  from the dear melody.  the yarn used was quince & co.  tern in the syrah color way which reminds me of elderberry juice for some reason.  loved making it and it was a very well written pattern.  unfortunately i have yet to block it.

the third knit of the year was my yoga shawl.  love, love, love this thing!  i started working on it in june and finished it sometime in september.  i used brooklyn tweed loft in the soot color way.  another well written pattern, and did i mention that i love this shawl?  i have yet to get the buttons on it though simply because i couldn't find just the right ones, but i'm still looking!

a simple cowl was my third knit from a free pattern in a webs catalog.  i already had the yarn (which the name totally escapes me) and it is incredibly soft, however i don't wear it that much.  i don't know if i'm a cowl person or not...we'll see.

finally, the last knit was the georgetown cardigan from the book 'home and away'.  some really lovely knits in this book and i have definite plans on knitting a few more things from it.  i used quince & co. yarn once again, in the chamomile color way.  love this color...reminds me of apple tree leaves in the fall (a greenish yellow).  this sweater is warm.  i finished it in less than a month's time simply because i was on vacation and all i wanted to do was knit.

next year, i've already had some knitting ideas popping into my head and am working out the logistics of it.  i'm really excited about how it's all taking shape.  i still have a long way to go with my skills, but i definitely have seen improvement  in my finished products.  in a couple of weeks i hope to have a plan nailed down.

4 comments:

  1. Your knits are beautiful! Good for you accomplishing your goals. It feels good, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sharon! Come about October I wasn't sure if I would make it, and was okay with that, but being on vacation for 3 weeks made a big difference! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Tracey, I'm in love with your knits. You did a great job.
    I love your new blog lay out. How have you done that?

    ReplyDelete